8/28/2007

AUGUST 28: U2-Clinton´s interview / U2 donate the proceeds to a local charities / 'I Love You Love Me' / 'Up On The Catwak' / finished version of 'Electrical Storm" on the radio / Bono's pics from The Independent!

"Rockline" - august 28, 1992. U2 appear on the North American syndicated radio show "Rockline", hosted by interviewer Dave Herman. The Edge and Bono perform "Can't Help Falling In Love", and Bono comments, "Elvis does the kind of 'down on one knee' version -- I do the sort of 'Irish Catholic guilt' version..." Bono attempts to get through to the White House, but the operator hangs up upon recognizing his voice. Then US Presidential candidate Willam "Bill" Clinton calls the show. Even though the phonecall was previously planned, it is presented to the listening audience as if it were a total surprise(Paul McGuinness would later reveal in an interview that the phonecall was Clinton's staff's idea). Herman announes, "Our next caller is named Bill, and he's from Little Rock, Arkansas. Hi Bill, what's your last name?" "Clinton," the caller announces. "Bill Clinton?! Sir, it's a pleasure having you on the air with us!" "I can't believe I got U2 on the phone," Clinton says. "Hi, this is Bono here...how do you want us to call you? Should we call you Governor or Bill?" "Bill," Clinton replies gratiously. "Bill? Alright, you can call me Betty," Bono jokes, resulting in laughter in the studio. Bono and Clinton discuss several topics, including Parental Guidance warnings on music albums: "Are politicians qualified to decide what is, and what isn't art?" Clinton replies that he is against censorship, and compares the Parental Guidance warnings to the Movie Ratings System employed in Hollywood. He also mentions his continued support for the National Endowment for the Arts. Clinton also adds, "I want to say, as a middle-aged man, that I appreciate the fact that you made 'The Joshua Tree' and that record 'Angel of Harlem' in Sun Studios. You made me feel like I had a place in rock music, even at 46." Bono replies with a small jibe, "Well, Bill, if we got you into it, we must be doing something wrong..." Both Clinton and the RockLine group laugh. "I have some problems imaging you pogoing to our music," Bono finishes, "But I'm very glad that you've listened to our records. Thanks for calling."

"ZOOTV - Zooropa" - august 28, 1993. U2 perform the last of the "ZooTV Outside Broadcast" concerts in Dublin, Ireland at the Royal Dublin Society Showgrounds. U2's second show in Dublin is broadcast on radio live in the U.S. and most of Europe. During the show, Adam's fiance Naomi Campbell comes on-stage during "Trying to Throw Your Arms the World" and as that songs ends and "Angel of Harlem" begins, Bono hums the melody to "Here Comes the Bride." U2 donate the proceeds from both Dublin shows -- more than 300,000 pounds -- to a handful of local charities.

"POPMart" tour - august 28, 1997 / Leeds, England - Roundhay Park - Cast. Edge´s karaoke this night is "I Love You Love Me".

"Elevation" tour - august 28, 2001 / Glasgow, Scotland - SECC - Cosmic Rough Riders. Bono added a short snippet of "Up On The Catwalk" (Simple Minds) to "Elevation". The Simple Minds were originally founded in Glasgow.

"Radio stations get finished version of "Electrical Storm"" - august 28, 2002. Radio stations in North America receive their copies of "Electrical Storm," the new U2 single, three days after BBC Radio 1 aired an unfinished demo of the song. Several stations had joined the BBC in playing the demo after obtaining from U2 fan sites online.

Bono's pics from The Independent - August 28, 2006 - Q magazine, issue September 2006, brings Bono's pics from his job as Editor of The Independent: 1 2 3 4 5 6

5 comments:

kristinferguson89 said...

I happened to tape this interview back in the day and caught the song on it. I remember Bono saying, "You're very pushy, aren't you?" I would do anything for another copy of that song...I lost my tape thru the years.

kristinferguson89 said...

I happened to tape this interview back in the day and caught the song on it. I remember Bono saying, "You're very pushy, aren't you?" I would do anything for another copy of that song...I lost my tape thru the years.

kristinferguson89 said...

I happened to tape this interview back in the day and caught the song on it. I remember Bono saying, "You're very pushy, aren't you?" I would do anything for another copy of that song...I lost my tape thru the years.

kristinferguson89 said...

I happened to tape this interview back in the day and caught the song on it. I remember Bono saying, "You're very pushy, aren't you?" I would do anything for another copy of that song...I lost my tape thru the years.

kristinferguson89 said...

I happened to tape this interview back in the day and caught the song on it. I remember Bono saying, "You're very pushy, aren't you?" I would do anything for another copy of that song...I lost my tape thru the years.