10/15/2007

OCTOBER 15: 500 people / Island and SST settle Negativland lawsuit-recall all existing copies / 'Beautiful Day' number 1 / symphony of Edge-not James Iha in Chicago / Top Of The Pops with HTDDAB!

'Boy' tour - october 15, 1980. U2 perform in Amsterdam, Holland at The Milkyway. The band get a good response from a moderately enthusiastic crowd and play a powerful set that does not remain unnoticed by the Dutch music press. crowd: 500 people.

"Island and SST settle Negativland lawsuit" - october 15, 1991. Island Records and SST Records agree on a settlement of Island's copyright infringement suit regarding the Negativland "U2" single. SST agrees to stop all production related to the single and to recall all existing copies (estimated at 13,000 copies) and forward those to Island Records. SST also agrees to immediately pay Island/Warner-Chappell $29,292.25 in damages, and additional future payments of approximately $15,000. The settlement also transfers copyright ownership of the single from SST Records to Island.

"Beautiful chart debut for Beautiful Day single" - october 15, 2000. U2's "Beautiful Day" debuts at #1 on the charts in the U.K., Ireland, Holland, and Australia. With no commercially available single, the track only debuts at #75 in the U.S.

'Elevation' tour - october 15, 2001 - Chicago / IL - United Center - It was a supremely moving moment because it was done with such understated grace. Then Bono and the Edge broke into a seemingly impromptu but timely version of the Three Degrees' 1974 soul hit "When Will I See You Again." The Edge was a one-man orchestra on guitar, keyboards and backing vocals, with a veritable symphony of sound packed into his foot pedals. "New York," a song about a midlife crisis, was transformed into a celebration of a devastated city's resilience, and "One" became a moving tribute to the victims. As the band played its most enduring anthem, the names of the crew and passengers on the hijacked airplanes scrolled down a screen. It was a gesture, and a concert, big enough for the moment. And it was further evidence that more than 20 years into its career, U2 remains more necessary than ever. © Chicago Tribune, 2001 - by Greg Kot. Chicago, IL. - "...When we got to the tip, Bono asked me if i could really play. I said, yup. I tried to prove it by showing him the picks that I carry around in my wallet, but the picks would fall out. Bono said, 'I don't need your cash, you already gave me enough.' That's when Dallas Schoo came by with Edge's acoustic. He also handed me this really cool U2 pick. I strapped on the guitar, and showed Bono the chords to prove I could play it. All this time, angle of harlem was still on its outro, so that¿s the rhythm I had in my head. Right after it ended, Bono told me to start. I accidentally started playing PGR to the rhythm of AOH! Bono and Edge looked at each other with a look of 'Oh no, Not again . . .' in a funny way. So I stopped, got the correct rhythm in my head, and started. Once I got started, and Bono started singing, they motioned for me to follow them to the main stage. Bono was ahead, and I was walking next to the Edge, who was smiling and winked once. We all strutted to the stage left raised portion of the main stage. Bono was adlibbing the lyrics. The noise level from the main stage was really low. It almost sounded like i was playing in a small room. The view from the stage was amazing. Everyone was standing and cheering, smiling, etc. I took it all in, and thought, so this is what it feels like to play in front of 20,000 people. . . For the last verse, Bono sang: 'People get ready, Haven't I seen you before, aren't you the guitarist from the Smashing Pumpkins?' This got many people confused as to whether I really was James Iha or not! Finally, to end the song, Larry came in with the drums. I picked up the head of the guitar towards the sky, and hit the strings hard to finish the song. Bono came and gave me a hug, I gave back the guitar, unfortunately, and he said thank you, to which i said, no thank YOU! I turned around to go back down the heart, and the applause was tremendous. I got back to the point of the heart where I was before, and the security guy helped me back over. He shook my hand, and said he was very impressed. (It is only three chords, though, nothing special.) The people around the tip of the heart all came by and shook my hand and stuff. They were yelping and going crazy! It was awesome.'

"Top Of The Pops" - october 15, 2004 / London, England - BBC Television - Vertigo, All Because of You, Desire, She's A Mystery To Me, City of Blinding Lights. U2 perform outdoors in the rain for BBC's 'Top of the Pops' TV show. Bono is the only one performing live during Vertigo -- the music is pre-recorded, just like in 2000 when Bono was the only one The band does an abbreviated version of Mystery Girl. Bono plays guitar during City of Blinding Lights. The band also tapes a performance in the BBC studio for future airing on TOTP, though it's not clear what songs were performed.

No comments: